The Cambodia Book Fair was first launched in 2011 by the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts and its partners. When it first began, about 1000 people attended the fair. By 2017, over 50,000 people visited the Cambodia Book Fair.
The Cambodia Book Fair aims:
- To raise awareness about the availability of books in Khmer or other foreign languages, particularly books about Cambodia and children books
- To support Cambodian authors/writers and illustrators
- To promote the publishing industry in Cambodia
- To foster a passion for writing among the young generation
- To nurture a love and a habit of reading among the Cambodian population across ages
What happens on the days?
Activities during the three-day event include:
- Books exhibition participated by authors/writers, publishers, and bookstores (some books will be sold with special prices)
- Book signing sessions at various booths
- Authors/writers and Illustrators, new and professional, promote their new works to the publishers to get their work published.
- Storytime and educational activities for children
- Face painting for children at Children’s Book Park
- Educational activities for youth at Garden Library
- Concert and lucky draw
- Other special programs
Who attends this special event?
The book fair brings together the following groups of stakeholders in Cambodia:
- Organizations promoting literacy and education overall
- Librarians/archivists/information specialists
- Government officials
- General public
In 2018, the Cambodia Book Fair is organized by the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts and its partners including the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, the Ministry of Information, Cambodian Librarians and Documentalists Association, Sipar, Room to Read, Santhi Volunteer Association, French Institute of Cambodia, UNESCO, and USAID, Paññāsāstra University of Cambodia and BELTEI International University. Other stakeholders that support the event include, American InterCon School, Scholar Library, IBBY, Save the Children.
This year, the Cambodia Book Fair will be held on 07-09 December 2018 at the National Library of Cambodia in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The theme of the 2018 fair is “Living Books, Growing Knowledge”